Mr. and Miss Dillard 2009-10

Carmelita Foster, a junior psychology major from New Orleans and the Junior Class attendant this year, became Dillard’s 54th queen in runoff elections held March 12, defeating junior Brandy Vincent.

Foster and Michael McField Jr. of Carson, Calif., will reign in the 2009-10 academic year. The two succeed graduating seniors Marcel Harris and Ashlee K. Yates.

Runoff results also included psychology junior Chavalier Sharps’ election as SGA president over public health junior Jasmine Johnson and the election of Brandon Love, a sophomore political science major, over Shaunessy Carr, also a political science sophomore as vice president. Elections for the royal court are in combination with the class councils and scheduled today.

Foster works for the financial aid and scholarships office letting students know about scholarships through e-mails and a Facebook group. She is also a member of the National Council of Negro Women, a member of Peer Educators and a member of K.B. Clark Psychology club.

Foster said she plans to be a voice of the student body while planning community service projects and campus events. She also wants to implement a “more effective communication system” for all students.

Through her experience as an attendant in the royal court, Foster says she realized how important Miss Dillard is in “shaping the future of this institution and improving the quality of life for students.”

Foster said she learned from Yates how to “be assertive, open-minded and how it is a must to manage your time well.”

Foster plans to pursue a doctoral degree in clinical psychology and then specialize in African American adolescents. She says she eventually would like to start a high school for inner-city kids, providing then with “the same amenities as parochial schools.”

McField, who works for the New Orleans Hornets Buzz Control, will become the fourth Mr. Dillard, a tradition started by Miss Dillard 2006-07 Dianna Green.

He has an associate’s degree from Harbor Teacher Preparation Academy in Los Angeles with a minor in mass communication.

McField is also a member of Phi Gamma Nu National Business Fraternity, Collegiate 100 Black Men, Dillard University Concert Choir bass singer, Vision Quest chorale tenor singer and was a SOAR leader last year.

McField says he felt like it was time for him to step up to the plate: “Sometimes when you want to see why things are not going the way you think they should, you try and take matters in your own hands to see if you can make a difference.”

Becoming Mr. Dillard is his way of trying to make a difference, he says.

McField is looking forward to becoming the representative for all males on campus. He plans to boost the male morale by making himself available to those men who “are willing to help revive Dillard.” He believes Dillard men have the potential to help him in his efforts to improve male participation in campus activities.

McField also plans to start his “Brother to Brutha” program, designed for Dillard men to serve as big brothers to high school and middle school boys to help instill the importance of community service. By the time these young men enter college, McField says he wants community service to already be a part of their everyday lives.

Just for fun, McField says he wants to start his talk show, which will be taped every month, on Facebook called “What Women Want.”

“The talk show is to let the men of Dillard know what educated women look for a young man, said McField.

McField feels that he was impacted the most by the “hard work and dedication” of Harris.”Many people don’t realize all the tedious work he goes through and time and dedication he puts forth into this position,” said McField. “Marcel has done a great job as Mister Dillard.”

Both Foster and McField emphasized the need for mentorship and effective communication. They are in the process of finding schools to adopt for mentorship purposes.