Dr. Bettye Parker-Smith addresses concerns of students

Dear Dillard Family:

We are well into the new year. And, by now, I think we would all agree that the spring semester is shaping up to be one of high energy and enthusiasm. Again, I thank you for your continued dedication to ensuring that Dillard University continues its historical path of educating students in a safe and excellent manner.

It gives me great pleasure to acknowledge the members of the women’s and men’s basketball teams for their splendid performance this season, especially during the recent games with Xavier University. I am so proud of your team spirit and passion for competition. Winning is playing the game, and playing it well.

Although I was traveling over the weekend and could not attend Saturday’s games, I have been informed that all players performed exceptionally well. I want to congratulate Ebony Owens for leading the women’s team in scoring 18 points and Keydrick Williams for scoring a game-high 19 points and 13 rebounds for the men’s team.

Each year attendance at the Dillard vs. Xavier homes games draw extraordinarily large crowds. This year was no exception. The great attendance at the game prevented some ticket holders from entering the campus. Anyone with an unused ticket can receive a full refund from the University Cashier in Rosenwald Hall between the hours of 10 a.m. – noon and 2-4 p.m., Monday-Friday.

I have commissioned a special task force to evaluate and present to me and the senior cabinet recommendations regarding how we might best implement future athletic competitions and other events that attract an exceptionally large crowd. Ms. Therese Badon, alumni director, will serve as chairperson of this special task force of students, faculty, staff, as well as the directors of both Public Safety and Athletics.

It is important to keep us all safe as we are a porous campus surrounded by elements that can make our community unsafe. To prevent any unpleasant situations or hindering security from implementing their responsibilities during events such as this popular athletic competition, please carry your Dillard identification cards with you at all times.

If you do not have a valid identification card, please contact Ms. Alvinette Simmons in the Duplicating Center in Kearny Hall at 504-816-4001. We are building a climate of safety. Presenting proper identification to security personnel when asked is very important to our efforts.

Thank you for continuing to support all of our athletes and expressing your esprit de corps at Dillard.

Sincerely,

Bettye Parker Smith

Interim President