Union’s movie theater will open in January

New Orleans (Nov. 15, 2012) – Dillard’s movie theater in the Student Union is set to open in January while the bowling alley is now fully operational despite ongoing technical issues.

Meanwhile, additional expansion plans are being made, according to Peter Stevenson, director of recreation, health and wellness.

The Student Activities Board plans to survey the student body about the kinds of movies they want to see, according to Jocelyn Magruder, board chair. Hours of operation haven’t been determined yet.

She said the board hasn’t decided on an admission price, but she estimated admission would be between $5 and $10. She noted purchasing movie rights will cost $500 to $750 per movie shown.

Christopher Cameron, executive director of the Student Union and Residential Life, said the theater didn’t open last year for several reasons: Construction impeded traffic flow. Air conditioning issues made the space uncomfortable. And the Student Activities Board now has a clear understanding of its role to create student activities.

The bowling alley opened Oct. 9, almost a year after it originally was scheduled to open.

Stevenson said the bowling alley has no technician or desk clerk employee, so when lanes are malfunctioning or other technical problems occur, no one is available to fix it. Nevertheless, senior music industry major Tyrin Wallace, a work-study student, has been trained by North American Bowling operator  Brunswick, and he will provide technical assistance on Mondays and Fridays.

“I’m all for the students,” he said. “I’m here to get things going…We’re trying to make it happen. It’s a slow process when you don’t have enough staff.”

Hours of operation are from 4-7 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and from 1-4 p.m. Saturday at $1 for students and $2 for guests.

Stevenson said plans for the union by the end of this semester include new fitness equipment, televisions in the fitness center and pool and ping-pong tables in the second-floor game room. He said he would like the theater to show black college football games and movies such as “Red Tails,” a 2012 American war film that portrayed the Tuskegee airmen.