Kappa Alpha Psi wants spring line

New Orleans (Nov. 15, 2012) – Kappa Alpha Psi has successfully petitioned the Pan-Hellenic Council Executive Board to allow intake next semester and now awaits word from its advisor, Dr. Dawn Williams, and the Greek Advisory Council.

Only three fraternities and no sororities participated in intake this fall.

The fraternities who had a line this semester were Alpha Phi Alpha, Phi Beta Sigma and Iota Phi Theta. Two fraternities – Kappa Alpha Psi and Omega Psi Phi – did not participate.

Neither did any of the four sororities: Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, Zeta Phi Beta and Sigma Gamma Rho.

However, Kappa Alpha Psi requested and received support for a spring line in an Oct. 17 meeting of the Pan-Hellenic board, according to Pan-Hellenic President Bridget Sisney, a senior biology major from Jackson. No other organization requested permission for spring intake.

Member DeJuan Ellsworth, a senior psychology major from New Orleans, said intake is vital to the Beta Gamma chapter because it hasn’t participated in intake for two years and the chapter has diminished from 14 members to four, and those four are about to graduate. The chapter cited an adviser issue and conflicts with fall intake dates as the reason it missed fall intake.

AKA Basileus Kanitria Mason said the sorority made the decision to focus on “community service and strengthening the bond between sisters” instead of having a line this year.

The Dillard University National Pan-Hellenic Council Constitution states: “The Greek Advisory Council, comprised of all the council’s chapter advisers, in collaboration with the National Pan-Hellenic  Council, will recommend specific dates during the membership intake semester for that academic year.”

Two other non-Pan-Hellenic organizations plan intake during the academic year. Gamma Sigma Sigma is a nonprofit group that promotes service and friend among students of all races and creeds. Phi Gamma Nu prepares its members for professional endeavors.