BET and Cox stand, deliver and show DU love

After the many grants, donations and scholarships given to the students and the schools who suffered loss and damage after the storm, two communications companies came together and showed how much they cared. BET and Cox Communications merged together to create a rebuilding fund for Dillard University, Xavier University of Louisiana and Southern University of New Orleans.

The charity was termed the Stand and Deliver Block Party and the Stand and Deliver Rebuilding Fund. The block party was held Feb. 24, at the Howlin’ Wolf and was hosted by Q93’s Wild Wayne, as well as, the hosts of BET’s 106 & Park, Terrence and Rocsi.

“I’m going through the same thing a lot of other people are going through,” said Rocsi, a native of New Orleans. “It’s good to see everyone come back to college here. We’re making sure things get back together and we’re rebuilding,” she continued. Terrence, a North Carolina A&T alumni, felt lucky to return to his HBCU roots as well.

Students from each campus received free tickets to the event and filled the downtown nightclub. Students danced on stage and received autographs. Performances included greek stepping, cheerleading and dancing. There were also special guest appearances.

“Finally black people are helping black people and I love it,” said Akilah Shaheed, a freshman nursing major from Oakland, Calif.

To launch the block party, BET donated $10,000 to the rebuilding fund. Vice President of campus life and enrollment Freddye Hill, as well as other school and company representatives, expressed her gratitude in a way that was different from the students.

“We are proud to thank BET and Cox Communications,” Hill said. “We will deliver our commitment to take advantage of this opportunity,” she continued.

Music entertainers included some of New Orleans’ hip hop and rap artists as well as artists from other areas. These artists consisted of Shawt, B.G., Baby Boy, Young Dro, Unk and Lloyd.

Lloyd moved from one part of the stage to another as he sang to the ladies. He said he wouldn’t rethink his decision if he had to come and do it all over again.

“I’m a big dreamer and I’m here testing my dreams,” Lloyd said. “I like to show my dreams to everyone to let them know that dreams come true.”

Rashadd King, a freshman business management major from Washington D.C said, “It was a good show with energy. It was good to see them give back to New Orleans in another way,” he said.

Local artist Baby Boy said he felt it was a good thing for the city and the colleges. All performances kept the crowd moving and grooving.

BET’s Michelle Brooks helped come up with the event to inform, inspire and motivate the schools one building at a time.

“This was a great experience and we can’t wait to work with them in the future,” Brooks said.

The production of the program will air through Cox Digital Cable on channel one until April 15.

Individuals wishing to make a check, money order, or cash contribution can do so to the “BET Foundation,” with a memo noting “Stand and Deliver Rebuilding Fund.” Students can mail this to BET Foundation, “Stand and Deliver Rebuilding Fund,” 1235 W. Street, NE Washington D.C., 20018. BET Foundation will disburse the donated funds to the designated beneficiaries.