Seniors scramble for jobs to secure future

Despite having a degree, some recent graduates struggle to find entry-level jobs in their field. However, that is not the case for a number of Dillard seniors who already have jobs waiting on them.

Ariel Luter, a senior accounting major from New Orleans, La., said she plans to stay in New Orleans and work for Delotte & Touche, a big-four accounting firm, while attending grad school at the University of New Orleans.

“It was important to me to stay in New Orleans, one, because of my family, and two, because this is where I belong. I can’t see myself anywhere else,” Luter said.

Jovanne Hughes, a senior accounting major from Chicago, Ill., also hired by a big-four accounting firm, had similar views for choosing to return home.

“I’m going back home to help my grandmother raise my younger brothers and help support the rest of my family,” Hughes said.

Hughes, who will be working for Ernst & Young, said her ultimate goal is to one day own her own [accounting] firm, which will handle accounts for public schools in the Chicago area.

“I encourage students to not only get involved in campus organizations, but to also get involved in the community, because leadership is defined in one’s ability to serve others,” Hughes said.

But while there is a high demand for accountants, Brittany Coleman, a senior mass communication major from Shreveport, La., is proof that anyone can do it, despite his or her major.

“I’m currently a desk assistant for WWL Channel 4 [here in New Orleans],” Coleman said.

She attributes getting the job to being well-rounded in her field. “Knowing how to write definitely got me in the door,” Coleman, whose concentration is broadcast journalism, said.

In addition to knowing how to write, being self-motivated played a major role, according to Coleman. “You have to be [self-motivated] because no one is gong to get you the job or help you advance once you get it,” she said.

Motivation and determination shows through your track record, according to Luter. “It is important to join organizations and groups that pertain to your major and apply for jobs while you’re still in school because that’s who recruiters look for,” Luter said.

Luter is a member of INROADS a leadership/internship program and the National Association of Black Accountants (NABA). She interviewed with her now employer at the NABA conference.

However, despite some students association with relevant organizations and participation in certain internships, finding a job has not been easy.

Ashley Hughes, a senior computer science major from Jackson Miss., has been on three interviews, one with Microsoft, her dream employer, but has not had any luck.

However, A. Hughes said that is okay. “I always send them thank you letters and it just pushes me to work harder and think about what I could do better each time,” said Hughes, who still plans to work for Microsoft some day.

A. Hughes also said to beware of lying to the interviewer, despite your lack of experience. “Make sure you have a structured resume, but don’t lie. They see through lies. If you are a people person, and if you can be trained, you may be hirable,” A. Hughes said.

Making sure students are hirable may be some-what of the faculty’s job, but the ultimate responsibility of getting the job lies with the students, according to some students and faculty.

Luter said, “I didn’t get my job through Dillard. It was something I had to do on my own. Do not depend on Dillard to find you a job.”

Kevin McLin, chair of the mass communication department agrees. He said the faculty can only do its best. “We try [to prepare students for jobs] but because we’re an HBCU (Historically Black College/University), they expect us to nurture them. Students have to take some responsibility…make themselves well rounded-enough to tackle any entry-level job available in their field,” McLin said.

With less than two months before graduation, students, who have not done so, do not have long to find jobs, be accepted into grad school, and say goodbye to friends and professors.

According to Hughes, saying goodbye will be difficult. “I’m going to miss everything about Dillard, especially my friends because none of them are from Chicago. Now we will have to travel to see each other once or twice a year, as opposed to seeing each other everyday,” she said.

Despite her sadness, Hughes said she is comfortable with moving on knowing that she has a job waiting.