Open house returns to Dillard University

April 14, 2007 marked a memorable day for Dillard University as the Financial Aid Department held the first Open House since returning to campus.

The meeting at 9:45 a.m. and was held at the Lawless Chapel. Parents, guardians and prospective students gathered, despite the pouring rain, to receive a thirty-minute welcome from Cynthia Thorton, assistant vice president for Student Financial Services.

In her address, Thorton invited the guests to take a campus tour with Dillard student ambassadors and meet with staff and faculty from each division at the Camphor/Hartzell Hall.

Dr. Freddye Hill, vice president of campus life, also spoke on behalf of Dillard University president, Dr. Marvelene Hughes who was unable to attend the meeting due to a previous commitment. Hill thanked everyone for attending and told the potential newcomers, “You are coming to a dynamic university that is moving, improving and solving problems to become even better.”

At the Parent Informational guardians were addressed by a panel which consisted of Hill; Thorton; Dr. Danielle Taylor, dean of Humanities; Kendall Mortimer from the Registrar’s office; Sejourna Abdoulah, an admissions counselor; and Eula Lynch, an accountant. In this event parents had the opportunity to voice concerns and have their questions answered.

Students who have already been accepted to the university were invited to attend dinner at Kearney Dining Hall and to be spectators at the Greek Step Show.

Joelle Nixon, student ambassador and graduating senior psychology major said she thought the visitors were satisfied about what Dillard has to offer. “The parents and students seemed to enjoy their day,” stated Nixon.

Thorton said, “I am pleased that students and parents still show interest in Dillard University.”

According to Thorton, the next big event to take place will be the DU SOAR To Success New Student Orientation Program. This two-day orientation marks the completion of the enrollment process for new students. According to SOAR coordinators students may choose one of three sessions. The sessions take place between June 8 and 10, July 13 and 15, and August 20 and 22 of 2007.