HBCU Week goes Greek

Students gathered in awe on Kabacoff last week as the Greeks strolled pass to the beat of the DJ’s blasting music.

The Greek Life showcase was held Sept. 10, during HBCU week, a representation of a movement in the black community. The theme for this week was “Fulfilling the Covenant in Our Nation’s Higher Education Community.”

The hosts of the event were Nicole Collins, a junior mass communications major, and Jamaal Burton, a senior political science major, who both kept the crowd moving as students showed much spirit for their classes and organizations.

Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. was represented by Nurse Adriene Gill. There are no members on Dillard’s campus, but the sorority welcomed anyone interested. The sorority’s motto is: Greater service, Greater Progress. Sigma Gamma Rho sorority believes in the uniqueness of each young lady as contributing essential members of society.

Nicole Magee, a senior psychology major represented Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc, which was founded on January 13, 1913. There are currently 22 members in this Dillard chapter. The sorority’s motto is: Intelligence is the Torch of Wisdom. Delta Sigma Theta is apublic service sorority.

Chris Stewart, a senior political science major represented the Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., which was founded January 9, 1914 on the campus of Howard University.

Lee Miller, senior, political science major represented the Theta Sigma Chapter of Omega Psi Phi fraternity Inc. which was founded November 17,1911. Omega Psi Phi has more than 700 chapters with members engaged in various academic disciplines and professional endeavors.

“Omega Psi Phi does not seek members,” said Miller. “Quality men seek Omega Psi Phi.””

Courtney Brown, senior education major, said we definitely need more events like this one. “Other schools have ‘Meet the Greeks’ and I guess this was kind of like our event.”

Several students said that they wanted to be a part of a fraternity or sorority and the event was an opportunity to find out the history and origin of each organization.

Mike Jenkins, a junior business major, said he enjoyed the Greek show and the information given to him upon each fraternity in hopes of joining one in the future.

Tyesha Alexander, senior nursing major, said that the showcase was a success. “It was very hot outside, but when DU has an activity going on I make it a priority to come out and support,” said Alexander.