Class of 2011: The Next Generation

On August 18, 2007, Dillard University officially started freshmen week for the class of 2011. Traveling from numerous cities and states, the freshmen were greeted at the front gates by the thunderous chants and yells of warm welcomes by the Student Orientation Advisement and Registration (S.O.A.R.) Leaders. Members of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc., the Prince Hall Masons, Mr. Dillard, and other S.O.A.R leaders assisted the students with the move into their new dormitory, Williams Hall.

The Division of Student Success and the office of Enrollment Management have prepared for the arrival of the class of 2011 for many months. The first orientation session began July 13, and the official welcome weekend started Aug. 18.

Kenneth Hughlon, an admissions counselor and recruiter in the office of Enrollment Management said he was pleased with freshmen week. “The S.O.A.R. leaders had a major contribution in the outcome of the week,” said Hughlon. “We are proud that the freshmen have the opportunity to embark upon the journey of excellence and heritage of Dillard University.”

According to Stephanie Woods, a Student Success A.D.V.O.C.A.T.E. (Aiding Dillard’s Vision of Continuing Academic Traditions of Excellence), there are 279 freshmen at Dillard this year. The A.D.V.O.C.A.T.E.s are responsible for offering advocate consistent one on one interaction with the students. A.D.V.O.C.A.T.E.s act as a line of defense and a first point of reference to be directed to various services and departments with in the institution. All of the A.D.V.O.C.A.T.E.s said they were extremely excited about working with the class of 2011 and continuously gave positive affirmations about the class.

“This class seems to be highly academically motivated. They have a pride in the university that is a breath of fresh air as we continue to build the New Dillard,” said Woods. “My hopes for this year are that they will successfully acclimate socially, academically and personally into the Dillard University community. I ultimately aspire for them to become globally aware, educationally astute professionals in a competitive world market.”

Scott Kristopher Morrella and Shanelle Staten, who are also Student Success A.D.V.O.C.A.T.E’s said the class of 2011 was amazing.

“They are very intellectual, and pro-active; they make me happy to wake up and come to work everyday,” said Morella. “The class discussions are lively, everyone participates and even when they disagree they are very respectful. They are truly an exceptional class.”

Freshman Ebony Wooderts from Dallas, Texas said she loves Dillard so far. “I love my teachers, the size of the classes, everything,” said Wooderts, who also wanted to share some words of wisdom with her class, “We came as a family, we have to be as one for the next four years so lets treat each other as one.”

Rubilia Smith, also a freshman who is from Chicago, Ill said she chose Dillard because she visited last year and she liked the feel of everything. Smith also said, “It’s been kind of slow, everything moves kind of slow here. I like my classes as well as the teaching style of the professors. I see myself staying here all four years.”

Damalia Simon said she choose Dillard because she wanted to return home wanted to the city. The New Orleans native said, “My experience has had it’s ups and downs, it’s been good, bad and even okay. I like the university as a whole but everything could be more organized, including orientation week.”

Joel Bertrand, from New Orleans said it was convenient and he knew it would easy for him to adjust. “My experience so far has been average. I wish there were more activities, and security would be less heightened than it is. My classes are very interesting, I’m learning a lot and I like my teachers.”

The class of 2011 has been officially welcomed by the staff, faculty, and students of Dillard University, but not by the Courtbouillon. So from all the editors and contributing writers….WELCOME!!!!!