NABA Attends regional conference

Dillard University’s National Association of Black Accountants participated in a regional conference in Atlanta to meet with 100 Fortune 500 companies for internships and career opportunities.

“We want to teach Dillard University students how to be professional members of society,” said Brandi Lucier, senior accounting major from Atlanta.

The Southern Regional Conference is held annually for young business professionals to meet with company recruiters for high income jobs and network with other businesses and students from all-around the southern region.

To help elevate expenses, Dillard’s chapter raised money through fundraisers. The chapter consists of 15 members who are participating in the conference.

Nine African-Americans came together to discuss issues on limited opportunities in the accounting profession and as a result founded the organization. The group decided to establish an organization to address concerns of minorities in the accounting profession. In 1970, the first chapter was created in New York City. NABA is a nationwide organization with goals to promote and develop the professional skills of members; to encourage and assist minority students in entering the accounting profession; to provide opportunities for members to fulfill their civic responsibility; to represent the interests of current and prospective minority accounting professionals; to ensure long-term financial stability and to provide adequate resources to implement chapter, regional and national programs.

The chapter is bringing activities to the campus such as the Star Interview Workshop, fundraisers and Thanksgiving community basket and much more. The organization currently has 15 members and continues to grow. The 2007-2008 officers are Erica Williams, president; Brandi Lucier, vice-president; Carlette Denis, co-vice-president; Amanda Henderson, junior vice-president; Kael Saloy, secretary; Danielle Harris, treasurer; Monique Williams, national reporter; Amanda Winfield, chaplain and Cynthia Buntin, parliamentarian.

NABA is not only offered to business or accounting students but any students on campus

Recently, members of the chapter accepted scholarships from the organization. Harris and Dennis received regional scholarships and Lucier received the national scholarship.

NABA offers membership not only to students, but also offers a lifetime membership after graduating. There are chapters around the country serving various colleges and universities.

The goal of the Dillard chapter is to insure all members with internships and job offer and to prepare them to perform socially said Lucier.