News in Brief

NEWS IN BRIEF

FROM STAFF REPORTS

Gunman Opens Fire at Cleveland School

A 14-year-old suspended student, dressed in black, opened fire in his downtown high school Wednesday, wounding four people, as terrified schoolmates hid in closets and bathrooms and huddled under laboratory desks. He later killed himself. Police Chief Michael McGrath said it appeared that the shooter used two weapons, but added that the coroner’s office will need to finish its work to confirm.

Congemi drops out of JP Sheriff’s race

Former Kenner Police Chief Nick Congemi has dropped out of the race for Jefferson Parish Sheriff and will instead support current sheriff Newell Normand in the race to replace Harry Lee. Congemi was one of a handful of candidates to put their hat into the ring after qualifying was reopened following Lee’s death. The election was pushed back from Oct. 20 to Nov. 17.

Pakistan elections set for early January

Pakistan’s government said that parliamentary elections will be in early January, setting the stage for a test of President Gen. Pervez Musharraf’s campaign to rally moderates against rising Islamic militancy. Musharraf, meanwhile, urged former Prime Minister Enazir Bhutto to put off her planned return from self-exile while the Supreme Court examines challenges to his presidential candidacy.