The Student News Site of Dillard University

Courtbouillon

The Student News Site of Dillard University

Courtbouillon

The Student News Site of Dillard University

Courtbouillon

Word on the Ave 2/16/24
Word on the Ave 2/16/24
February 18, 2024

Three of four SGA positions unopposed, including incumbent president

NEW ORLEANS (March 12, 2020) – Three of the four top Student Government Association positions have been filled by uncontested candidates, with only the treasurer’s position up for grabs in online elections Friday.

Voting for all other positions will be held from midnight to 5 p.m. Friday through BleuConnect.

Sophomore Traelon Rodger, the incumbent SGA president, is opposed for his second term as a junior. Also elected by acclamation are freshman DeAndre Bell as vice president and freshmen Valesha Rhodes as secretary.

Two candidates seek the office of SGA treasurer: sophomore Khaelyn Jackson and junior Jordan Kane.

Meanwhile, selection of class council and Royal Court positions have been restructured. Typical cabinet positions for classes no longer will exist; instead, each class will have one class representative and two class senators.

As a result, the two sophomores running for senator –Amaya Sweeney and Lauren Petry – have won by acclamation.

Royal Court

The Royal Court’s electoral process has been altered. In the past, the student body’s vote determined the results for the elections. Starting with this election, a percentage of the results will be determined by points received during the pageant, set for 6:30 p.m. tonight in Georges Auditorium. Judges will decide the points received.

The selection of Mister and Miss Dillard will be decided in part (50 percent) by student votes and the other half by pageant results. For the positions of Miss and Mister Senior, Sophomore and Junior, 25 percent will come from pageant points while the remaining 75 percent will be students votes.

The race for Miss Dillard features a field of three candidates, including juniors Kia Howard, Kaylan Tanner and Alicia Hoey.

Three students also seek the crown of Mister Dillard: juniors Mehki Hayes, Brian Desil and Justin Mathews.

Other candidates for court positions include:

– Miss Senior: juniors De’Jah Linson and Makeda Royal.

– Mister Senior: juniors Carlos Pollard Jr., Rodney Perkins and Daylon Daye.

– Miss Junior: sophomores Aria Townes, Shana Hill and DeJoan Mitchell.

– Mister Junior: sophomores David Rhodes Jr., Tim McGary, Walter Dixon IV and Jalen Carr.

– Miss Sophomore: This is the most crowded field with six candidates – sophomores Destiny Keys, Trinity Alexander, Kennedy Musgrave, Bailey Patterson, Amira Gilford and Julia Tippen.

– Mister Sophomore: freshmen Taye-Rafael Jackson and Jaren Barnes.

Other council candidates include:

– Sophomore class senator: Four freshmen are in the running for two positions, including Ayriah Barr, Kirstin Patterson, Kalaya Sibley and Zaige Wills,

– Sophomore class representative: Two freshmen seek one slot – Jerika Edwards and Natalie Linney.

Leave a Comment
Donate to Courtbouillon

Your donation will support the student journalists of Dillard University. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

More to Discover
Donate to Courtbouillon

Comments (0)

All Courtbouillon Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Activate Search
Three of four SGA positions unopposed, including incumbent president