Dillard University Honors Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. with Day of Service

Dillard University

On Monday, January 15th, Dillard University held a Day of Service in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

The goal of this Day of Service was to focus on addressing food insecurity in the New Orleans Community. At the event, over 200 boxes of fresh fruits and vegetables were distributed to individuals and families.

In attendance were not only Dillard University students, staff, and alumni, but also New Orleans Saint representatives such as Cheer Krewe and Gumbo, the Saints’ Mascot. Amerihealth, Feighly Communications, Lighthouse, and Topbox partnered with Dillard University to put on this event.

As well as the distribution of fresh produce, the Day of Service also included a Community Health and Resources Fair, which shared with attendees information regarding Health and Health-related services. A community garden was created on Dillard University’s campus through this event as well, with the goal of supporting the Food Studies and Research programs and strengthening community ties. The garden was also created to promote sustainable food practices and education. 

“We’re extremely grateful for today’s turnout. Our collective effort to address food insecurity is a vital step towards educating and empowering our communiversity to maintain healthy lifestyles,” said Nick Harris, Executive Director of Dillard University Community Relations.

This event at Dillard University marked a commitment to addressing immediate needs while supporting sustainable community initiatives, honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy of service.