Dillard receives HUD grant

Dillard University received $2 million from the federal government to aid in the rebuilding process of off-campus housing due to the devastating blow of Hurricane Katrina, according to the U.S. Depart of Housing and Urban Development.

Recently, HUD donated a grant to Dillard from a program that helps historically black colleges and university rebuild their surrounding community.

“These grants will help ensure these colleges continue to educate many of the nation’s African American physicians, lawyers and business leaders while also being able to revitalize the communities that surround them,” said Alphonso Jackson, HUD’s secretary, in an official statement “Throughout the nation, we have seen HBCUs breathe life into struggling college towns and blighted urban neighborhoods.”

According to the HUD Deputy Secretary, Roy Bernardi, who recently visited New Orleans, call the money as important and is “a source of hope for the community.”

Bernardi said the $2 million will go toward renovating 42 apartments. He said the project could help provide space for up to 150 students.

“I feel good that someone is donating money to the school. I am glad that there are organizations out there, like HUD, that wants to see Dillard grow to become a better conducive environment for learning,” said Christopher Stewart, a Dillard University residential assistant community leader. “I hope many organizations do the same.”

This year, HUD has awarded $10.4 million in grants under the program to 13 historically black schools nationwide, including Xavier University in New Orleans and Southern University and A&M College in Baton Rouge.