Public Health Students Honored Through Induction

The Honor Society Chapter of Upsilon Phi Delta of Public Health inducted six new members and acknowledged the Dean of Natural Science; Dr. Wilson as an Honorary member, on Tuesday June 13th at 5pm.

Amber Leonard, Lindsay Price, Katrina Sams, Candice Wright, Stephanie Marshall and Special Kirk were inducted into the Honor Society after taking the oath and understanding the morals and values that they must follow.  Each member received a Crimson Red and Royal Blue honor cord and were pinned by the current president, Christy Malbrew.

Chapter faculty members, Dr. Carlen McLin and Dr. Wodajo Welldaregay, have worked very hard to make sure that the induction took place this semester. “We had to wait for the 1st semester to end to determine who met the requirements to be considered in the Honor Society”, Dr. McLin said. “All of these students are hard working and dedicated in striving to exceed in the public health industry.”

In order to be considered into the Honor Society each student must have a 3.3 GPA or higher, be a junior or senior, and has to be a Public Health major. As a member each are is expected to organize and coordinate a health activity for the Dillard community as well a health seminar every semester with only health care professionals providing information.

“This chapter validates national academic excellence and it’s an honor to have these students apart of the oldest honor society on Dillard’s campus since 1979,” Dean Wilson said.  I will work very hard in making sure that each of these individuals continues to uphold values of Upsilon Phi Delta.

Following the induction, it was time to elect the new officers for the next year. With all the current members graduating all positions were open for the floor. The newly inducted members pondered for minutes debating who should take what position.  After, 30 minutes it was announced that Katrina Sams will be the newly elected president.

As the occasion rounded down, it was announced that the chapter’s first project of the year will be taking part in Operations Preparedness. This project is geared to assisting residents in FEMA trailers with vital information that is needed in keeping safe in trailers. This event will take place July 21st and 23rd around New Orleans.