SGA elections scheduled for March 17

Nominations for Student Government positions will be accepted starting Tuesday, with the primary election scheduled for Wednesday, March 17, according to Miss Dillard Carmelita Foster.

The Mr. and Miss Dillard Showcase will be held at 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 16, in Lawless Memorial Chapel.

Elections are scheduled for Student Government positions, including president and vice president, and Class Council positions for the sophomore, junior and senior classes. Freshman class elections are held in the fall.

Each class typically has a class attendant and first gentleman, the council president, vice president, recording secretary, treasurer, parliamentarian, chaplain, historian, on-campus representative and off-campus representative.

To be considered eligible for an SGA elected office, a candidate must have a 3.0 minimum cumulative grade-point average. To be considered eligible for Class Council, the candidate must have at least a 2.75. Candidates may have no pending academic or disciplinary sanctions. Once elected, officers must maintain the minimum GPA requirement for their office.

Foster said presidential and vice presidential debates are set for Monday, March 15, at a time and place to be announced.

Should a runoff be required, which is mandatory if a candidate doesn’t win by a vote of 50 percent plus one, it will be held on Thursday, March 18, Foster said. Polling is held at lower Kearny.

For information on criteria, visit the SGA office in Kearny Hall or call (504) 816-84103.

(Thelisia Davis and Angela Harris contributed to this report.)