DU student gets the most out of major

While some students constantly change their major or have yet to declare a major, others are working toward developing the skills necessary in order to advance in their concentration of study. Christopher Wright, a junior business management and music major, is one of those driven students.

Wright, a native of New Orleans, has had an interest in the business aspect of music since his early days in high school; however, he did not carry out his desire until this past summer when he had the means to afford the right equipment. “My purpose for working all summer was to have money and I used it all for my music,” Wright said.

Although he did not have the greatest summer job, which was a sales associate at Marshalls clothing store, and the customers were often rude, Wright was persistent. “Motivated to get money,” as Wright declared it, was the driving force that allowed him to continue working, despite the harshness of some customers.

Without a doubt, his hard work paid off. Even though the equipment was quite expensive, according to Wright it was well worth every dime because of the amount of experience he has gained. In addition, Wright said he is taking his time to grow and expand his knowledge, which is the reason his service is priceless. However, as time passes, Wright said he will eventually set a fee because the materials advance with technology and they often break.

“I can’t just wish for a microphone,” Wright said. “Things cost money.”Performer, writer, recorder and producer are the many titles Wright has embraced. Grasping as many areas as possible, Wright said it is important to know a lot in order to do a lot. Wright also explores the different genres of music including pop, rock, hip-hop and R&B.

“I don’t focus on anything in particular because I don’t want to limit myself to just anything,” Wright said. Additionally, Wright said he does not want to be a cliché singer or producer. “I don’t want to sing about standard things like cars and nothing too stereotypical,” Wright said. “If I wanted to, I could, but I don’t think it would fit me.”

In regards to what may be next, Wright is uncertain about whether or not he will attend graduate school, but he definitely has plans for the future. Advancing as a music producer and succeeding in the business is his primary focus, and he believes he is well on his way toward success.

“Technically, I consider myself a music producer already…without the financial benefit,” Wright said. Wright encourages those who plan to work in the music industry to take advantage of every moment. Wright said, “Don’t just talk about what you are going to do, seek the opportunity and get something done.”