Heritage festival brings style, culture

A melting pot would have been the accurate description of Kabacoff Plaza as the Global Studies office transformed it into the 4th Annual International Heritage Festival. New Orleans culture met its Caribbean and African roots as vendors, musicians and students came together to celebrate the fusion of cultures that make us all unique.

Vendors sold cowry shell earrings and bracelets, copper bracelets, body oils and dashikis to Dillard students and community as Sodexho provided a menu of curry chicken, avocado salad, plantains and fruit kabobs. Students learned information about the international organizations on campus such as the African World Network, Creating Awareness Using Social Exchange, and Voces Hispanas. CAUSE informed people of their community service project, Books for Africa.

The African World Network offered information about their organization geared and building and reinforcing the connection of African-Americans to Africa, and Voces Hispanas held a raffle for dinner at six different Spanish restaurants. “It was great!” said senior Markeeta Redmon. “With the live music, it was one of the best events I have seen on Dillard’s campus.”

The live music was provided by Bill Summers and his band moved Kabacoff to Havana. Millicent Johnnie and the Afro-Cuban Dancers performed pieces straight out of Cuba, and of course nothing in New Orleans is complete without a second line to carry us all out to the rest of the day.