‘Beauty Shop’s’ style not a big hit with students

Queen Latifah is back on the big screen with her new film, “Beauty Shop,” which hit theatres March 30. Dillard students had an opportunity to attend a sneak preview of the movie on Tuesday, March 22 and The Grand Theatre in East New Orleans.

The film is the long awaited follow-up to “Barbershop,” a movie starring Ice Cube that was very successful, with a successful follow-up, “Barbershop 2,” which added Queen Latifah as a cast member. After attending the free preview of the movie, some Dillard students questioned whether the film was even worth their time or attention.

In “Beauty Shop”, Queen Latifah plays Gina Norris, a single mother who moves from Chicago to Atlanta, and soon decides to pursue her dream of opening her own shop after becoming tired of working for her arrogant and obnoxious employer Jorge, played by Kevin Bacon. She soon finds out that it is not easy to run a business after purchasing an old shop in serious need of a makeover.

Despite her problems, she also finds love with the piano-playing electrician who lives above the shop. With all that is going on, she soon discovers that her ex-employer Jorge, is trying to sabotage her new business because he is losing customers. “Beauty Shop” stars not only Latifah, but a host of other celebrities including Djimon Hounsou, Alfre Woodard, Alicia Silverstone, Mena Suvari, Bryce Wilson, Keshia Knight-Pulliam and many others.

The popular slate of characters unfortunately, may have given viewers too much to look at. Angela Jeffries, a senior business management major, said that she did not think that the movie was over-populated with stars, but when given a recap of all the guest appearances and main characters she changed her mind. “The movie must not have held my attention if I did not notice all of those celebrities,” she said. Some Dillard students felt as though the film did not live up to its expectations. “I put this movie in the same category as ‘Pootie Tang’ and ‘Good Burger’.” I was glad I did not pay to see it,” said Kalicia Fields, a sophomore public health major.

Jeffries also said the movie had a slow start and the acting was not as great as it could have been. She also felt that the ending could have been better.Miranda Warren, a junior psychology major said she could have waited for the DVD.

Joshua Thomas, a junior business management and music major said that he thought the movie was good, and it was not what he expected. “I actually expected it to be a typical chick flick, but it was not that at all. It was funny,” he said. Thomas also said that he would have paid to see the movie even if he did not get in free.

Alexis Bowser, a senior psychology major did not have a problem with the men who starred in the film. “The men were sexy,” she said.If you were not able to get your hands on a free pass to the sneak preview, the movie is in theatres now and you have the opportunity to check it out for yourself.