The Black Masking Indians Took Over the Streets of Tremé on Super Sunday

NEW ORLEANS– On March 19,2023, the Tremé neighborhood was filled with laughter, music, and food as people celebrated Super Sunday Uptown. The Mardi Gras Indian Council typically has their Super Sunday on the third Sunday in March near St. Joseph’s Day according to mardigrasneworleans.com. Super Sunday is a tradition that has occurred in New Orleans for years. The Black Masking Indians, also known as Mardi Gras Indians, put on their elaborate and beautiful suits and parade through the neighborhood to show off their beadwork and sewing skills as well as to meet other tribes. This also provides entrepreneurs the opportunity to showcase their businesses, whether it is food, clothes or drinks. The activities typically begin at noon at the A.L. Davis Park at Washington Avenue and LaSalle Street. At that point the Indians typically make the block and come back to take the stage in the park. The whole evening is filled with joy and amusement for all in attendance to enjoy. Super Sunday Downtown will occur on April 2 with festivities being scheduled to start at noon. Flag Boy Al is a part of the Black Cheynne Gang and he and his entire family has been masking for years as a family tribe and notes, “Y’all have to come and see it, it’s a sight to see and it’s only here in New Orleans.”