Topdog/Underdog play shines in Cook Theatre

Samuel DuBois Cook Center Theater filled with several students, faculty and members of the Gentilly community for the opening of Topdog/ Underdog on Oct. 26. Topdog/ Underdog was full of laughter and tears, as the audience jumped head-first into the illustration of family bickering and romance gone badly. Guided by the strength and dedication from the theatre faculty and the production staff, the play delivers a unique image and makes a good lasting impression. The roles of two brothers living in an un-easy economical situation are played by Dillard University students own Devin McCoy (Lincoln) and Martin Bradford (Booth). Both actors illustrate power and creativity by providing the audience with a play full of drama and an illustration into young African-American men’s lives. Suzan-Lori Parks was the first African-American woman to win the Pulitzer Prize, for her astonishing work in the writing of Topdog/ Underdog. The director of the play is Raymond Vrazel, Jr., assistant professor of theatre and is also a professional actor himself. Armisha Woofy, a freshman business/ psychology major from Sacramento, Calif., said the play was funny and suspenseful. “My favorite part was at the beginning when Booth was saying ‘watch me close’, portraying the card game like his brother Lincoln,” said Woofy. Togdog/ Underdog is also unique because it has its own original soundtrack produced by the theatre department. The soundtrack can be purchased for $5 at the play, so that the audience can take a piece of Togdog/ Underdog home with them. The play will run again this week, Thursday through Sunday. Nov. 2-3 the play will run at 8 p.m. and there will be a matinee performance on Nov. 4 at 3 p.m. The general admission is $12, students and seniors $7 and Dillard students with IDs $5. For more information please call the box office at (504)816-4587.