Xavier rushes through, leaving DU fans blue

The huge rival game against the Xavier Gold Rush comes after a 3-0 on the road-loosing streak in the last three games. Fans are hyped and want revenge from the heart wrenching loss of the women�’s game.

Dillard wins the tip and puts the first two points on the scoreboard. Early in the game the Blue Devils come out with a stifling defense and offense. Alfredo Ott, senior guard gives the fans some excitement with the first dunk early in the game. Keydrick Williams, senior forward scores five points on the board to get the Blue Devils started. The game saw a lot of Xavier players on the floor. A Gold Rush player got a taste of DU as he fell face forward onto the floor attempting to go for a loose ball.

DU pulls out to an early lead out playing XU in several areas. More than a few Xavier players flop in an effort to get a foul called by the referee. It works at first and DU gets into foul trouble. It seems the referees catch on and call a more fair game. DU cut down Xavier’s lead by one at the end of the first half with a score of 33-32.

Dwayne Bastian, junior forward, took initiative at the start of the second half and finished off an assist with a dunk. DU and XU played a back and forth game scoring on offense at both ends of the court. Bastian again brings the crowd to their feet and thrill to the game with another dunk.

DU gets in foul trouble and puts XU in the bonus with more than six minutes to go in the game. The Blue Devils come back and are only down by four points with a minute and thirty seconds remaining. The clock reads less than thirty seconds and XU is up by three. DU inbounds the ball with a chance to tie the game with a three pointer. Travis Jones, junior guard receives the ball and shoots and misses for the possible tie and a chance for Dent Hall to see an overtime game. Xavier pulls out with a five-point win over Dillard, with a final score of 66-61.

Anthony Lynn, junior forward commented on the Blue Devils loss.

"Both teams played real hard, unfortunately it didn’t turn out our way. Fortunately we have a chance to play them again at the end of the month at the New Orleans Arena."

Fans are looking forward to the rematch at the end of the month. Many fans were disappointed with the outcome of the game.

"There was not enough CD [Chris Desdunes], I put money on Chris hitting a three pointer and he cant shoot any three pointers from the bench," said Chris Brock, a freshperson from McComb, Miss.