New DUICEF building gets its place in history

Sunday afternoon following the Founder’s Day tribute, was theDillard University International Center for Economic Freedom Artdedication ceremony. At 5 p.m. faculty, students, alumni andfriends of Dillard gathered around to bless the artwork that is nowin DUICEF.

After remarks and recognition of the artists by Bettye ParkerSmith, interim president, the Dillard University choir sang”Ezekiel’s Wheel” before blessing the art and the building.

All in attendance were invited to view the works created by fourhighly respected artists.
    Terry Adkins created the Ezekeil Double Drums that hang in theright corner of the DUICEF entrance. The sculpture was created in2004 by the artist who has work in a permanent collection at TheMuseum of Modern Art and The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New YorkCity.

“Mayann”and “Neighborhood” were bothcreated by New Orleans native John Scott to place in the building.Scott has been lauded for his sculptures and paintingsworldwide.

One of 2000 Outstanding Artists and Designers of the TwentiethCentury created four pieces of work that are showcased on thesecond floor of the building. Sue Jane Smock has had collections inthe Smithsonian Institute National Museum of American Art and theSchomburg Center for Research in Black Culture. Her piecesFrederick Douglass, The General, Langston Hughes, and Alice MooreDunbar-Nelson were all created on woodcut on handmade Japanesepaper over a span of many 40 plus years.

Finally six pieces by renowned artist and educator Hale Woodruffwere given to the building. Woodruff’s career spanned over 50 yearsas he created art, taught and fought for civil rights.”Sunday Promenade,” “Old Church,””Giddap,” “Coming Home,””Relics,” and “By Parties Unknown” are alllinocuts.

Guests in attendance felt the art affirmed Dillard’s commitmentto creating an atmosphere conducive for growth. Dr. BeverlyGuy-Sheftall, the speaker at the Founder’s Day Convocation, praisedDillard for keeping its commitment.

“I think it’s continuing its important legacy by adding art andmaking it a better institution,” said Guy-Sheftall.

Students recognize the impact the art will have on Dillardalso.

“I think it will add to the cultural value of the university andenrich its tradition of excellence,” said Kimilee Washington, asenior political science major.