Pumping Up the Praise

Hallelujah was the highest praise at the 2007 Gospel Fest. Day two of Spring Fest began when Kelvin Haynes, SGA chaplain, led current and recently elected SGA officers in singing, ‘Oh, gives thanks.’

Gospel’s best-selling female trio, Trin-i-tee 5:7 performed three songs including “My soul is anchored.” The trio is composed of two New Orleanians, Angel Taylor, Dillardite, Chanelle Haynes and Adrian Anderson from Sacramento, Calif. Trin-i-tee 5:7 are not only artists but also creators of the Hope and Triumph campaign. Anderson said that the group wanted to do something with people to represent hope and celebrate triumph.

Chanelle Haynes said that the ultimate goal of the campaign is to travel throughout the Gulf Coast, but to start in New Orleans. “We want help through motivational speaking, talking to students, reading to elementary kids and to visit homeless shelters.”

Taylor said she was excited to be a part of Gospel Fest. “The energy was awesome,” said Taylor. “So many talented artist and musicians.”

Dillard University’s Vision Quest Chorale vivaciously proclaimed, “Victory” as the Dillard praise dancers merrily motivated the crowd to stand, wave V’s through the air and revealed that victory is definitely something to dance about. The chorale transitioned the mood from praise to worship with the promise, “spend my always” by Kirk Franklin and concluded with, “I will bless the Lord.”

Jackson State University Interfaith Gospel Choir’s four-song, mini-concert encouraged the crowd to open their spiritual ears and listen when they sang, “speak to my heart.” The denim and khaki-dressed choir, lead by director, Beveraly Wallace, joyfully told the story of Jesus’ Resurrection through song.

Rayshad Rogers, a New Orleanian, Jackson State University Interfaith Choir member said he enjoyed the opportunity to hear several choirs from his hometown. “Dillard’s choir blew my mind,” said Rodgers. “I never got to hear them sing and I have lived here [New Orleans] all my life.”

Gospel Fest hosts, Elder D.K. Smith and LaRetta Petit from WYLD for Jesus AMen 940, introduced The Greater St. Steven’s Choir, which included Dillard’s own, Christopher Stewart, a junior, political science major. Loyola Gospel Choir, Xavier Choir, Southern University Choir also participated in Gospel Fest 2007.