Dillard Hosts Spring Fest Step Show After Five-Year Hiatus

Trinity James, the 88th Miss Dillard University and member of the Beta Upsilon chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated accepted the award on behalf of her organization after being announced one of the step show’s winners.
Courtesy of Sabree Hill, University photographer

NEW ORLEANS–After a five-year hiatus, the NPHC at Dillard University hosted its Step Show on April 22, 2023,
during Spring Fest showcasing all of the sororities and fraternities.

This was the first step show since 2018. There have been many reasons why it took five years for
this to happen again.

During the spring semester of 2020, the COVID-19 outbreak took the world by storm affecting
the life of college students. The following year the city of New Orleans was affected by a
number of hurricanes causing students to be temporarily sent home again.

The last NPHC Step Show was held during the spring semester of 2018 when the Beta Phi
Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha won.

This step show featured some similarities but there were many things different as the NPHC E-
board focused on starting back up a tradition and making it better for today's generation.
After many tries, there finally was a breakthrough to bring this event back.  NPHC President
D´Andre Bell, senior urban policy major and president of Beta Phi Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha
Fraternity, Incorporated, had this on his to-do list for a while now and said he was excited to see
it happen.

“The hardest thing about planning [the] step show is defying the odds. I want to prove people
wrong and let them know that NPHC is here and not playing around,” said Bell. “We as a
chapter also want to continue the winning legacy as Beta Phi won the last show in 2018.”

The step show highlighted Springfest as it was the last event of the week.

The step show was held in the Dent Gym. Admissions started at $10 with a valid college student
I.D. and $20 without it.

The step show, which was open to the public, had solid attendance as the gym was filled with
students, loved ones, family and friends.

The step show featured all of the Divine 9 organizations with the exception of Delta Sigma Theta
Sorority, Incorporated and Iota Phi Theta, Fraternity Incorporated. Unlike the previous step show
in 2018, there were two winners.

There were two categories this year. All the fraternities were featured in one category, and
sororities were in the other category. Only Dillard Greeks participated in the show this year.