Blackboard’s swap to Canvas will save money

NEW ORLEANS (Oct. 6, 2016) – A new learning management system called Canvas is on track to replace Blackboard in spring 2017, providing a more customizable and mobile-friendly system that is also cheaper, according to the director of instructional technology.

Dr. Rona Tyger, director of instructional technology and distance education for authentic learning, said that although the campus has become accustomed to using the Blackboard platform, she is hopeful the transition to Canvas will be smooth for both teachers and students.

“With the transition, students will immediately notice that their course schedule changes are captured and reflected in Canvas within two hours of making the changes in my DU,” Tyger said.

“Students can customize their Canvas profile to include their personal email address and their mobile phone number so they have full control of the notifications that are pushed to them.”

The yearly license is about 20 percent of the cost of Blackboard, a savings of 80 percent with Canvas. However, the most cost-effective benefit will be licensing for Canvas Help and Support: Students, faculty and staff will be able to get help 24 hours a day via chat, phone, email and the web.

Canvas also has been touted as providing better interaction between instructors and students. It will facilitate online correspondence, supplemental face-to-face lectures and online courses.

In terms of popularity, Moodle is now the leading learning management system, with Blackboard rounding out the top three. In the next three years, however, Canvas has been predicted to become the leading learning system.

News of the transition was met with mixed reviews from students.

Nakeisha Joiner, a mass communication junior from New Orleans, said she was reluctant to change.

“Switching us from something we’re accustomed to is ridiculous, but I guess we have to get acclimated to it,” said Joiner.

On the other hand, Yuri Edwards, a biology major from New Orleans, said he has friends at other schools already using Canvas: “They love it, so I’m excited for a better learning experience.”