Dillard University’s Spring Royal Court Student Election

Spring is bringing some heat! It’s not only due to the Campus Programming Team’s Miami-themed Springfest or the rising temperatures in Louisiana. It’s all about the Spring student election!

Traditionally, Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) throughout the country organize Royal Court, Student Government Association, and various other leadership positions for students on their campuses. In case you’re not acquainted with the Royal Court, they are elected representatives who serve as campus ambassadors, representing their respective classes and the entire institution.

Take a moment to read an article from the previous Fall election: Fall Elections result in Royal Court recount for Mister and Miss Freshman – Courtbouillon (ducourtbouillon.com) 

This year, rumors and whispers circulated through the Oaks regarding potential candidates and their campaign strategies. The student body’s interest piqued even further when the election timeline had to be adjusted slightly for various reasons. However, the stunning themes and visuals that flooded the internet and Dillard’s campus during campaigning caught everyone off guard. While some campaign themes were typical of HBCUs, others were unexpected. For instance, the 89th Miss Dillard candidate, Taylar Tunstall introduced a fresh perspective with her “Unity” platform, inspired by Queen Latifah’s song “U.N.I.T.Y.”

Candidates were given a week to campaign using posters, flyers, social media content, and events. Subsequently, they participated in the Royal Court pageant. This year, the pageant featured several categories, including some new additions like the health and wellness category. The candidates were evaluated in each category, leaving many impressed by their performances. This made the decision-making process among students even more challenging.

The scores from the Royal Court pageant, interview, and student vote each collectively determined the outcome of the election. The pageant carried a weightage of 30%, the interview 20%, and the student vote 50%. Student voting occurred on March 20th, starting at midnight and concluding at 5 PM. This year there was a record-breaking voter turnout, a significant achievement for Dillard, where student apathy toward voting is not uncommon. The votes were meticulously counted and reviewed by the election commissioners.

Following the tallying of scores, a watch party was held in Georges Auditorium later that night. The atmosphere in the auditorium was tense yet filled with anticipation. As each category winner was announced, the newly elected candidates’ faces lit up with joy and relief. The individuals comprising the Dillard University 2024-2025 Royal Court are listed below.

Taylar Tunstall ‘25 Montgomery, Alabama – The 89th Miss Dillard University

Nigil Giles ‘25 Lake Charles, Louisiana – The 19th Mister Dillard University

Kyri Miller ‘25 Seattle, Washington – Mister Senior

Ravien Burns ‘25 New Orleans, Louisiana  – Miss Senior

Jayda Dennis ‘26 Memphis, Tennessee – Miss Junior

Jarreau Vinson ‘26 Miami, Florida – Mister Junior

Paris Simon ‘27 Gonzales, Louisiana – Miss Sophomore

Roderick Morning-Trice ‘27 Birmingham, Alabama – Mister Sophomore