DU vs. XU game

Even though the day was full of rain showers, lightening and thunder, students faculty and fans gathered to watch Dillard University’s women’s and men’s basketball team battle Xavier University Saturday, Jan. 27, at the Barn gymnasium.

The gym reached full capacity at 6 pm, leaving several Xavier and Dillard fans outside the game with no hopes to get into what some may refer to as the battle of year, but like the saying, one monkey does not stop a show, because the show went on.

The women of Dillard University’s basketball team opened the game with extreme intensity and compassion. Roshawnda Bolton and Monique Reece led the women into battle and at half time Dillard led Xavier 30-22.

By the beginning of the second half, Reece and Sandra Nweke fouled out of the game; however, the Lady Blue Devils kept pushing.

Bolton scored 5 points within the last 10 seconds of the game however Dillard couldn’t hold on and the final score was Dillard 53 and Xavier 66.

David Manning a guard from Dallas scored 15 points during the duration of the men’s game. “I don’t feel good about the game; we didn’t play like we were supposed to,” said Manning.

Xavier men’s basketball team won every element of the battle including the tip off. During half time the score was Xavier 33 and Dillard 23.

Throughout the game, Dillard’s men struggled with turnovers and were still down when Gordon Meadors fouled out in the second half.

Marcelus Ross a point guard from Chicago said “We prepared well. Coach put us in a position to perform at our best.” According to Ross if he could change one thing about the way he played he would be have been more aggressive.

Although the cheering DU fans were vital to the game the Blue Devils still could not pull off a win in the Barn.